✡️ Selenium Python Automation Framework - How to build ?
Python is easy to learn and simpler to code when compared with other traditional languages. Nowadays, software development is making a transition towards python. Taking into consideration the holistic view of a software product, most of the companies are more inclined to maintain the same stack of technology in software development and testing life cycles. In this blog, I will put forward to you the steps and the process of how to build a Selenium Test Automation Framework in python. For a full working code, kindly refer to my Github repo.
- Create a python project. You can choose an IDE of your own. However, I have preferred to use PyCharm as it is most industry wide used.
- Create a new Virtual Environment.
- Create a package named
tests. Entire framework is be divided into divided into different packages. Other would be subsequently created in later steps.
- Create a class for each testcase. Every testcase should be implemented as pytest method
ex: def test_e2e(self)and every pytest method should be wrapped under a class.
- Use fixtures for setup and teardown methods. Place the browser invocation and closure codes inside fixtures.
- Generalise the fixture methods for all testcases by placing them in
- Create a
utilitiespackage and place all the reusable classes, methods there. Doing so makes our code less reductant.
- Create a Base class inside utilities package and call the fixture there
Baseclass to all the testcases.
- Create a package
resources. Place browser drivers
(ex: chromedriver.exe, geckodriver), input_data files, etc there.
- Pass command line arguments to select browser at runtime. Means we should be able to select which browser we need to run our cases on.
(ex: py.test --browser_name=chrome). Use
request.config.getoption("browser_name")function to achieve this.
- Implement pageObject mechanism:
- Create a package named pageObjects.
- Create separate classes for each page
(ex: HomePage, LoginPage, BookingPage, etc).
- Define constructor which will initialize the driver which was passed form the testcases.
- Define objects and their locators as class variables
- Define getter methods for each class variable.
- Create package actions. Define all the actions(like click, sendkeys, select, etc). Create and object for actions in each testcase and use actions object to call all the actions.
- Also if there are any other reusable functions, you can place them in Base class inside utilities package.
- Implement the logging feature. Use
loggingpackage to achieve this.
- Implement HTML reports: Use
pytest-htmlto achieve this. Run the cases with
--html=report.htmlparameter which helps us to create html reports.
- Also add screenshots for failed cases. To achieve this we should tweak few functions inside pytest-html package, you can find the tweaked code in the my framework code.
- Parameterize data from external excel sheet using
📚 Framework code: Refer to my GitHub repository
💻 GitHub Profile: https://github.com/BharatKammakatla
👨💻 Website : https://bharatkammakatla.com
Dat's it guyz. Thank you 😊